Re: Scans completed - Patsy
    Posted by: "MSBUDDY1951@aol.com" MSBUDDY1951@aol.com sunsetgal22000
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 am ((PST))

Thanks


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (48)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
2.1. Re: Newbie
    Posted by: "Robert Ortis" qglphx1@yahoo.com qglphx1
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:39 am ((PST))

Jamie,

I am going to the HLAA Conv. in Milwaukee, Wi. this year.  It's June 17th to I think the 20th.

Robert




________________________________
From: Jamie Kinsella <jmkinsella55@yahoo.com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 8:03:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CIHear] Newbie

 
Where will this convention be held at?  I'm not a member of HLAA yet, although I've been hearing impaired all my life...
 Jamie

____________ _________ _________ __
From: Robert Ortis <qglphx1@yahoo. com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 4:58:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CIHear] Newbie

 
Jamie,

Thank you as well.  I am just lucky to get know know everyone in here as well as HLAA.  I am looking forward to the convention in June so I can finally meet all the people that I have been talking to for almost a year.

Robert

____________ _________ _________ __
From: Jamie Kinsella <jmkinsella55@ yahoo.com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 3:55:20 PM
Subject: Re: [CIHear] Newbie

 
Robert - wonderful sharing here.  I'm glad you are here, and have also found the chat room too!
 Jamie

____________ _________ _________ __
From: Robert Ortis <qglphx1@yahoo. com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 4:40:32 PM
Subject: Re: [CIHear] Newbie

 
Shawna,

I can relate.  Sounds probably crazy to hear this from a 40 year old man but the first two months I would hide up at the house in Northern Az., sit on the deck that had blinds covering where people couldn't see me.  They were always use to me being very outgoing and would talk to anyone.  I would sit in the chair, watch my mother talk to her friends and I would start to tear like crazy.  I worked off the phone all my life and logistics is the only thing I know.  I would sit there on some days and just think to myself, how about I pop some valium and drink a 12 pack of beer and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.  I finally did some research as well as my brother introducing me to a buddy of his from Canada.  I found out that he is a moderator on HLAA.  He invited me to come into there weekly chat on Monday.  I got in there and met the most wonderful people, explained my situation and what was wrong with me.  Alot of them were quite
shocked at first since all of this hit me overnight.  On April the 28th of 09 I woke up and couldn't hear a thing in any one of my ears, a month later they diagnosed me with Mineares Disease, a month after that I found out I had A.I.E.D. and a month after that I was told I have an arachnoid cyst in the lower part of my brain.  So besides have Sudden Bilateral Sensenoreal Hearing Loss I have the other things to deal with.  I am wearing Oticon Epoq XW Powers that work wonders, I can talk on the phone by using a streamer that I wear around my neck, it turns the hearing aids into a bluetooth, I have a TV Connect box that I use to watch TV as well as a Phone Connect box that I can use on the landline.  My hearing isn't getting any better so I am not getting my first Cochlear Implant on Feb. the 9th and am looking forward to it.  I am going to get the other one in about six months after this one is done.  I have been getting alot of email from people
with tips on the surgery and what to expect from here.  It has been very helpful.  If you want to chat with other people in a live chat room you can go where I go every Monday at 8:00PM EST, the site is http://myhearingloss.org  You click on the orange chat button then make a name for yourself and click chat.  When you get in there you want to double click the CI Chat room.  You will see people in there that have the implants, are just wearing hearing aids, are new to hearing loss like myself when I got in there.  They are wonderful people and it is my Monday ritual to get in there and get up to date on everyone and see how there doing as well as try to help people thru new hearing loss such as they did me when I lost mine.  I have been telling alot of people about the group and they didn't even know about it.  I know from asking that the surgery is out patient and they turn the device on in three to four weeks.  I read what you wrote and just
thought I would give you a little history on what I am dealing with and I can sympathize with you..  It's horrible and you actually find out who your true friends are when something like this happens.

Stay postive and up to date with information, I do it everyday to just keep gaining knoweledge of the hearing loss world.

Robert

____________ _________ _________ __
From: cherokee0897 <cherokee0897@ yahoo.com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 2:40:41 PM
Subject: [CIHear] Newbie

 
Hello, my name is Shawna my Dr, ran the annual hearing test the this past Thurs. (Jan 21) and finally realized that it is time to run the tests to see if the Cochlear Implant will work for me, the first test is being done on Feb 19, 10. I have been totally deaf in my right ear for a little over 4 years now and the left year was slowly going until the past few months. Back in Aug.09 they ran a special test and found out that the 8th Cranial nerve is damaged. So now he has decided to try the Cochlear Implant.
I have been looking it up online, but haven't found the answers to my questions & I was hoping that maybe someone here could help me. My questions are. Exactly how many tests are there before they find out if the Cochlear Implant will work for me? How long will I be in the hosp, if it is inpatient surgery? And how soon after the surgery will the external device be put in place?
Loosing my hearing has been more frustrating on me then my husband and kids. I have actually cried myself to sleep a many nights because of it wondering if my doctor was ever going to give me any answers as to why I was losing my hearing and he never did. It is about time he is finally taking the next step into doing something for me so that I may be able to hear again. I am just hoping and praying that the test(s) he is running will show that the Cochlear Implant will work.
If someone can answer these for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





     

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (48)
________________________________________________________________________
2.2. Re: Newbie
    Posted by: "pyerkes" p.yerkes@comcast.net pyerkes
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 am ((PST))

Shawna,

I understand your feelings, all of which I have experienced myself.  When I was being evaluated for possible implants (at the NYU Medical Center in NYC), the testing and consultations stretched over 2-3 months.  The hospital stay was overnight, with a few days of discomfort after I got out but nothing major.  I was activated about a month later.  Everyone is different, and I agree that you have to go by your own research analysis by audiologist and surgeon.  For me, the results have been wonderful.  I got very sick of people telling me that it is impossible to predict the outcome, but I'm afraid it's true.  I also found that this group is the best source of information and support.  Best of luck.  Peter

--- In CIHear@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Kinsella <jmkinsella55@...> wrote:
>
> Robert - wonderful sharing here.  I'm glad you are here, and have also found the chat room too!
> Â Jamie
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Robert Ortis <qglphx1@...>
> To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 4:40:32 PM
> Subject: Re: [CIHear] Newbie
>
> Â 
> Shawna,
>
> I can relate.  Sounds probably crazy to hear this from a 40 year old man but the first two months I would hide up at the house in Northern Az., sit on the deck that had blinds covering where people couldn't see me.  They were always use to me being very outgoing and would talk to anyone.  I would sit in the chair, watch my mother talk to her friends and I would start to tear like crazy.  I worked off the phone all my life and logistics is the only thing I know.  I would sit there on some days and just think to myself, how about I pop some valium and drink a 12 pack of beer and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.  I finally did some research as well as my brother introducing me to a buddy of his from Canada.  I found out that he is a moderator on HLAA.  He invited me to come into there weekly chat on Monday.  I got in there and met the most wonderful people, explained my situation and what was wrong with me.  Alot of them were quite
> shocked at first since all of this hit me overnight.  On April the 28th of 09 I woke up and couldn't hear a thing in any one of my ears, a month later they diagnosed me with Mineares Disease, a month after that I found out I had A.I.E.D. and a month after that I was told I have an arachnoid cyst in the lower part of my brain.  So besides have Sudden Bilateral Sensenoreal Hearing Loss I have the other things to deal with.  I am wearing Oticon Epoq XW Powers that work wonders, I can talk on the phone by using a streamer that I wear around my neck, it turns the hearing aids into a bluetooth, I have a TV Connect box that I use to watch TV as well as a Phone Connect box that I can use on the landline.  My hearing isn't getting any better so I am not getting my first Cochlear Implant on Feb. the 9th and am looking forward to it.  I am going to get the other one in about six months after this one is done.  I have been getting alot of email from people
> with tips on the surgery and what to expect from here.  It has been very helpful.  If you want to chat with other people in a live chat room you can go where I go every Monday at 8:00PM EST, the site is http://myhearingloss.org  You click on the orange chat button then make a name for yourself and click chat.  When you get in there you want to double click the CI Chat room.  You will see people in there that have the implants, are just wearing hearing aids, are new to hearing loss like myself when I got in there.  They are wonderful people and it is my Monday ritual to get in there and get up to date on everyone and see how there doing as well as try to help people thru new hearing loss such as they did me when I lost mine.  I have been telling alot of people about the group and they didn't even know about it.  I know from asking that the surgery is out patient and they turn the device on in three to four weeks.  I read what you wrote and just
> thought I would give you a little history on what I am dealing with and I can sympathize with you.  It's horrible and you actually find out who your true friends are when something like this happens.
>
> Stay postive and up to date with information, I do it everyday to just keep gaining knoweledge of the hearing loss world.
>
> Robert
>
> ____________ _________ _________ __
> From: cherokee0897 <cherokee0897@ yahoo.com>
> To: CIHear@yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 2:40:41 PM
> Subject: [CIHear] Newbie
>
> Â 
> Hello, my name is Shawna my Dr, ran the annual hearing test the this past Thurs. (Jan 21) and finally realized that it is time to run the tests to see if the Cochlear Implant will work for me, the first test is being done on Feb 19, 10. I have been totally deaf in my right ear for a little over 4 years now and the left year was slowly going until the past few months. Back in Aug.09 they ran a special test and found out that the 8th Cranial nerve is damaged. So now he has decided to try the Cochlear Implant.
> I have been looking it up online, but haven't found the answers to my questions & I was hoping that maybe someone here could help me. My questions are. Exactly how many tests are there before they find out if the Cochlear Implant will work for me? How long will I be in the hosp, if it is inpatient surgery? And how soon after the surgery will the external device be put in place?
> Loosing my hearing has been more frustrating on me then my husband and kids. I have actually cried myself to sleep a many nights because of it wondering if my doctor was ever going to give me any answers as to why I was losing my hearing and he never did. It is about time he is finally taking the next step into doing something for me so that I may be able to hear again. I am just hoping and praying that the test(s) he is running will show that the Cochlear Implant will work.
> If someone can answer these for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>       
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>







Messages in this topic (48)
________________________________________________________________________
2.3. Newbie
    Posted by: "Nucleus24" nucleus24@juno.com dinnyboo251
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm ((PST))

Hi Shawna,
   You've come to the right place.  You might start by logging online and
reading the FAQs at the CIHear website.  Answers LOTS of common
questions.   www.cihear.com
   If your Dr. hasn't told you what has caused your hearing loss, it may
well be that he doesn't know.  Often hearing loss is "idiopathic"
meaning, nobody knows what caused it.  Could be auto immune disorder,
could be a virus, could be bad karma.  And the reason for the loss is
generally not that important anyway.  And your hearing loss has to be
above a certain level before you qualify for an implant.  Testing with
the most up to date hearing aids is done, to make sure that a hearing aid
won't do the trick.  A Cochlear implant is a step in the right direction.

   Tests are generally, an audiogram to see how well you are, or are not
hearing.  A tympanogram, to see if your ear drum is in place.  A Cat Scan
or MRI or both to see if there are structural problems with the cochlea,
and if the cochlea is open so the implant can be inserted.  Sometimes
psychological tests are given to make sure you aren't expecting more than
the implant will give you.  In my case they know I'm goofy anyway, so
skipped that part!  LOL.  The tests can be done in a day.  They were for
me. 
    Then you need insurance approval, which generally takes a while to go
through.  Might be denied, then you have to appeal to the folks who think
a cochlear implant is a hearing aid.  Implants are covered, hearing aids
are not.
     Surgery, if no complications (which would be determined in pre
testing, CT and MRI scans, etc.) takes 45 minutes, and is done on an
outpatient basis.  You can go home the same day.  Incision is small and
behind the ear and little or no hair is shaved.  Waiting for first
mapping is 2-4 weeks depending on your center.  They want to be sure the
swelling has gone down. But with the Nucleus 5, there is minimal
swelling, so they can program (MAP) you sooner. 
    You may hear noises with the first mapping.  YOu may hear and
understand sounds.  You may even hear and understand words with or
without lipreading.  Further mappings refine what you hear at the first
mapping.   Most people do not have speech understanding with the first
mapping.  Some have very high cartoonish sounds (I did), but these get
mapped out as you go along.  The fact that you have had years of hearing
means you have a lot of auditory memory.  So you KNOW what words sound
like.  Unlike a person who has never heard, you know what a sound means
in terms of a word it represents.
    Losing your hearing is like losing your life.  Any time a sense is
destroyed, you go through the stages of grief that Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
wrote about in her landmark book, "On Death and Dying"  You might get it
out of the library and read it.  You grieve the loss of a sense, go
through the "why did this happen to me", and feeling sorry for yourself,
feeling helpless and so forth.  We've all done that.  So you're not
alone.   But now that it looks like you will be a candidate for the
implant, you can look ahead.
    The return journey to hearing is just that, a journey, not a race.
It takes time, patience and perseverence to learn how to hear with an
implant.  It's not like a hearing aid where you put it on and hear.  You
have to teach your brain how to interpret the signals it is getting into
sounds you understand.  So you get to wear the processor all the time you
are awake so your brain adjusts to it.
   Good luck, and ask any questions you have.
Denise
Nucleus 24 Aug 1997
Nucleus 5 September 2009


   
____________________________________________________________
Weight Loss Program
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=Jdphl8F_RRK9ieUnPm2y8wAAJ1CAYQG2fnZWBLacCwlpBoaTAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=





Messages in this topic (48)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
3.1. Re: Scans completed
    Posted by: "DEBORAH COLE" deborah_anne419@yahoo.com deborah_anne419
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:26 am ((PST))

I sure will, Robert.

Have a great day!



Debbie Cole







 






     

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (48)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
4a. Re: More on Nucleus 5
    Posted by: "Daniel" HHIssues@aol.com hhissues
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:09 am ((PST))


Best of luck with your surgery Robert!

Dan

--- In CIHear@yahoogroups.com, Robert Ortis <qglphx1@...> wrote:
>
> I am getting my first implant on Feb. 9th and am getting the Nucleus 5.  My insurance is covering it.  I hope I picked out the best of them..  I am going bilateral but only getting the one for right now.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Robert Clark <rclark0276@...>
> To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 10:55:19 AM
> Subject: Re: [CIHear] More on Nucleus 5
>
> Â 
> Generally, insurance only covers upgrades if the current processor is
> obsolete, which the Freedom is not. $7,800 something, not 10k.
>
> As to the differences, well there are many. Some find the smaller size
> to be a huge improvement. Then there is the remote control which allows you
> to make more changes to your maps than was possible before, such as setting
> the tcoil/mic mix.
>
> In my opinion, not worth the cost at this point since I have the Freedom
> which is just fine.
>
> Quote of the nanosecond. . .
> What sees a blind man when he's dreaming?
> Robert & Dreamer Doll ke7nwn
> E-mail-
> rclark0276@charter. net
> Home Page-
> http://webpages. charter.net/ dog_guide/
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Daniel" <HHIssues@aol.. com>
> To: <CIHear@yahoogroups. com>
> Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 9:39 AM
> Subject: [CIHear] More on Nucleus 5
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I was told that the changes or improvement from the Nucleus Freedom to the
> > Nucleus 5 is mostly just cosmetics?
> >
> > And was also told that insurance won't cover it. And that it should cost
> > approximately about $10K to pay for the upgrade?
> >
> > What's your take on this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > P.S. The above information was obtained from my audiologist. Thus my
> > asking around for a second opinion or more information, etc.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------ --------- --------- ------
> >
> > Please remember to note "Off Topic" in the subject line if your message is
> > not about Cochlear Implants. List messages should not be forwarded to
> > another list without the consent of the sender. Please delete previous
> > messages as you reply to a post. If necessary, save only the line to which
> > you are replying. This reduces unnecessary repeats as a courtesy to other
> > members.
> >
> > Be sure to visit http://www.cihear. net where you will find resources to
> > help you and interesting articles. The website is updated weekly.
> >
> > "Be a thriver, not just a survivor; be an active participant in your
> > treatment; investigate every possible avenue; push the medical system to
> > its limit; and then, no matter what the outcome, you will not have been
> > defeated and will have lived life as fully (if not more so) than most."
> > From His Brother's Keeper: A Story from the Edge of Medicine by Jonathan
> > Weiner
> >
> > To translate from another language go to http://babelfish. altavista. com/
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>       
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>







Messages in this topic (12)
________________________________________________________________________
4b. Re: More on Nucleus 5
    Posted by: "Daniel" HHIssues@aol.com hhissues
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 am ((PST))

Thanks Bob. That was helpful!

Dan

--- In CIHear@yahoogroups.com, "Robert MacPherson" <hohbob@...> wrote:
>
> Here's CA's Nuc 5 upgrade website: http://tinyurl.com/ylbnxnz
>
> Bob
> ..............
>   -----Original Message-----
>   From: CIHear@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CIHear@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
> Robert Clark
>   Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 10:06 PM
>   To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
>   Subject: Re: [CIHear] Re: More on Nucleus 5
>
>
>
>   That I do not know. I think Cochlear has an upgrade site, you can find
>      out more there.
>
>
>   .
>
>   
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>







Messages in this topic (12)
________________________________________________________________________
4c. More on Nucleus 5
    Posted by: "Nucleus24" nucleus24@juno.com dinnyboo251
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm ((PST))

Hi Dan,
   The Nucleus 5 is more powerful than the Freedom, and uses 2 batteries
rather than 3 like the Freedom and the 3G processor do.
   Not knowing what processor you are currently using, this might not be
of any value to you, BUT the 3 G processor will become obsolete in
August.  This means Cochlear will no longer sell them.  I'm not sure what
the policy will be on replacment or repairs.  So, if you have a 3G
processor and it breaks, then the choice would be between a Freedom and a
Nucleus 5 processor.   Insurance should kick in part of this for a
replacement.  But if you have a Freedom processor, then you're out of
luck on insurance helping to pay.  They generally won't pay unless the
processor you use is obsolete. 
   Currently, the N5 processor will not map SPEAK programs.  I'm hoping
that changes since SPEAK is what I use in the other ear.  Am having
difficulty getting a good map with ACE.  Have never been able to use it
before, and would like to think I could still get a SPEAK map on the N5
down the line.   
    The N5 has features that are more than cosmetic.  Zoom feature to
help you hear in noise, a music program, and other features.  You can get
a side by side comparison between the Nucleus 5 processor and the Freedom
processor.  Just call Cochlear 1-800-523-5798 ask for Customer Service,
and then ask for the comparison chart to be sent to you.  Then you can
make your decision.  Might ask the trade in value of the processor you
currently have.
   The remote control can help you trouble shoot, so you don't have to
make an appt with your audi.  You can find out what the problem is just
by using the remote (if it's a common problem - broken cord, not
connected, batteries low) and so forth. 
   If you aren't implanted with the Freedom, the N5 update is not ready
for you yet.
    Denise

Hello everyone,

I was told that the changes or improvement from the Nucleus Freedom to
the Nucleus 5 is mostly just cosmetics?

And was also told that insurance won't cover it. And that it should cost
approximately about $10K to pay for the upgrade?

What's your take on this?

Thanks!

Dan
____________________________________________________________
Diet Help
Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=fh-edwlLZXT45sQy5pnYKAAAJ1CAYQG2fnZWBLacCwlpBoaTAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (12)
________________________________________________________________________
4d. Re: More on Nucleus 5
    Posted by: "Robert Clark" rclark0276@charter.net prince_rogue2001
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:01 pm ((PST))

Denise,
    June 30 is the day the 3G will become obsolte.

Quote of the nanosecond. . .
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Robert & Dreamer Doll  ke7nwn
E-mail-
rclark0276@charter.net
Home Page-
http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/


----- Original Message -----
From: "Nucleus24" <nucleus24@juno.com>
To: <CIHear@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:18 PM
Subject: [CIHear] Re:More on Nucleus 5


> Hi Dan,
>   The Nucleus 5 is more powerful than the Freedom, and uses 2 batteries
> rather than 3 like the Freedom and the 3G processor do.
>   Not knowing what processor you are currently using, this might not be
> of any value to you, BUT the 3 G processor will become obsolete in
> August.  This means Cochlear will no longer sell them.  I'm not sure what
> the policy will be on replacment or repairs.  So, if you have a 3G
> processor and it breaks, then the choice would be between a Freedom and a
> Nucleus 5 processor.   Insurance should kick in part of this for a
> replacement.  But if you have a Freedom processor, then you're out of
> luck on insurance helping to pay.  They generally won't pay unless the
> processor you use is obsolete.
>   Currently, the N5 processor will not map SPEAK programs.  I'm hoping
> that changes since SPEAK is what I use in the other ear.  Am having
> difficulty getting a good map with ACE.  Have never been able to use it
> before, and would like to think I could still get a SPEAK map on the N5
> down the line.
>    The N5 has features that are more than cosmetic.  Zoom feature to
> help you hear in noise, a music program, and other features.  You can get
> a side by side comparison between the Nucleus 5 processor and the Freedom
> processor.  Just call Cochlear 1-800-523-5798 ask for Customer Service,
> and then ask for the comparison chart to be sent to you.  Then you can
> make your decision.  Might ask the trade in value of the processor you
> currently have.
>   The remote control can help you trouble shoot, so you don't have to
> make an appt with your audi.  You can find out what the problem is just
> by using the remote (if it's a common problem - broken cord, not
> connected, batteries low) and so forth.
>   If you aren't implanted with the Freedom, the N5 update is not ready
> for you yet.
>    Denise
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was told that the changes or improvement from the Nucleus Freedom to
> the Nucleus 5 is mostly just cosmetics?
>
> And was also told that insurance won't cover it. And that it should cost
> approximately about $10K to pay for the upgrade?
>
> What's your take on this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan
> ____________________________________________________________
> Diet Help
> Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=fh-edwlLZXT45sQy5pnYKAAAJ1CAYQG2fnZWBLacCwlpBoaTAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAA=
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Please remember to note "Off Topic" in the subject line if your message is
> not about Cochlear Implants. List messages should not be forwarded to
> another list without the consent of the sender.  Please delete previous
> messages as you reply to a post. If necessary, save only the line to which
> you are replying.  This reduces unnecessary repeats as a courtesy to other
> members.
>
> Be sure to visit http://www.cihear.net where you will find resources to
> help you and interesting articles.  The website is updated weekly.
>
> "Be a thriver, not just a survivor; be an active participant in your
> treatment; investigate every possible avenue; push the medical system to
> its limit; and then, no matter what the outcome, you will not have been
> defeated and will have lived life as fully (if not more so) than most."
> From His Brother's Keeper: A Story from the Edge of Medicine by Jonathan
> Weiner
>
> To translate from another language go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>






Messages in this topic (12)
________________________________________________________________________
4e. Re: More on Nucleus 5
    Posted by: "Robert MacPherson" hohbob@verizon.net hohbob
    Date: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 am ((PST))

The comparison chart is also available in the FILES menu of CIHear, filed
under the Cochlear document number FUN1070.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CIHear/files/

Bob
..............



-----Original Message-----
From: CIHear@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CIHear@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
Nucleus24
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:18 PM
To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CIHear] Re:More on Nucleus 5



Hi Dan,

SNIP............

You can get a side by side comparison between the Nucleus 5 processor and
the Freedom
processor. Just call Cochlear 1-800-523-5798 ask for Customer Service,
and then ask for the comparison chart to be sent to you. Then you can
make your decision.

SNIP..............

Denise








Messages in this topic (12)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
5a. Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "Michael Liddle" jmlejets@gmail.com troymichael0808
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 am ((PST))

My apologies, I should have put a new subject line for Med-EL

Good Day Group,
I am having my implant done on Feb 1st.  I am planning on the Med-El unit,
mostly at the urging of my surgeon as he was very strongly recommending it
as having the best electronics and processing.

However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this forum.
Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it
just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units.  I'm becoming a
little apprehensive.  Any comments would be appreciated.

The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new, smaller
processor is in the final stages.

I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Thanks for any input.
Best regards,
Michael Liddle


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5b. Re: Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "Robert Clark" rclark0276@charter.net prince_rogue2001
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am ((PST))

    You did fine, the wayward post was headed off.  And welcome to this
group.

    There are MedEl users here, just not as many as those who have the AB or
Cochlear implants.  So dont let that factor alarm you.

    But you do want to be the final say on the brand since you will be the
one living with it.

Quote of the nanosecond. . .
What we know is not much. What we don't know is enormous.
--Pierre Simon de Laplace, french astronomer
Robert & Dreamer Doll  ke7nwn
E-mail-
rclark0276@charter.net
Home Page-
http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/


----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Liddle" <jmlejets@gmail.com>
To: <CIHear@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:24 AM
Subject: [CIHear] Med-El System Quality?


> My apologies, I should have put a new subject line for Med-EL
>
> Good Day Group,
> I am having my implant done on Feb 1st.  I am planning on the Med-El unit,
> mostly at the urging of my surgeon as he was very strongly recommending it
> as having the best electronics and processing.
>
> However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this
> forum.
> Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it
> just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units.  I'm becoming a
> little apprehensive.  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new,
> smaller
> processor is in the final stages.
>
> I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
>
> Thanks for any input.
> Best regards,
> Michael Liddle
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Please remember to note "Off Topic" in the subject line if your message is
> not about Cochlear Implants. List messages should not be forwarded to
> another list without the consent of the sender.  Please delete previous
> messages as you reply to a post. If necessary, save only the line to which
> you are replying.  This reduces unnecessary repeats as a courtesy to other
> members.
>
> Be sure to visit http://www.cihear.net where you will find resources to
> help you and interesting articles.  The website is updated weekly.
>
> "Be a thriver, not just a survivor; be an active participant in your
> treatment; investigate every possible avenue; push the medical system to
> its limit; and then, no matter what the outcome, you will not have been
> defeated and will have lived life as fully (if not more so) than most."
> From His Brother's Keeper: A Story from the Edge of Medicine by Jonathan
> Weiner
>
> To translate from another language go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5c. Re: Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "DEBORAH COLE" deborah_anne419@yahoo.com deborah_anne419
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 am ((PST))

Good luck, Michael!  Keep us posted on your  recovery and how things are going.

For those of you who ahve inquired...
I have decided to go with Cochlear nucleus 5


Have a great day!



Debbie Cole

--- On Tue, 1/26/10, Michael Liddle <jmlejets@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Michael Liddle <jmlejets@gmail.com>
Subject: [CIHear] Med-El System Quality?
To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 9:24 AM







 



 


   
     
     
      My apologies, I should have put a new subject line for Med-EL



Good Day Group,

I am having my implant done on Feb 1st.  I am planning on the Med-El unit,

mostly at the urging of my surgeon as he was very strongly recommending it

as having the best electronics and processing.



However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this forum.

Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it

just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units.  I'm becoming a

little apprehensive.  Any comments would be appreciated.



The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new, smaller

processor is in the final stages.



I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.



Thanks for any input.

Best regards,

Michael Liddle



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





   
     

   
   






 





__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5d. Re: Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "Jamie Kinsella" jmkinsella55@yahoo.com jmkinsella55
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am ((PST))

Michael - while I have the Nucleus Freedom, my sister was implanted with the Med-El Sept '06.  She likes her Med-El, and I've not heard of any problems with it.  When I had my implant (3/07) my center was only implanting Nucleus Freedom and AB.  The Med-El was having trouble with their implant and thus the center did not want to implant it until the bugs were worked out.  They are now implanting the Med-El, and while all 3 products are good, each one provides something that is meaningful to the patient.  For my sister, size of the processor was important to her, plus she wanted something she could have at one setting and not have to change it.  So for her, the Med-El was perfect.  For me, I wanted something that had a history of being reliable (the implant part), and needed something that had more options for changes both in programming (by audiologist) and being able to change programs for different environments (by me), as well as something
that was water resistant.  So the Freedom was the best choice for me at the time I was implanted.

So Robert is right, you should have a say in what product to go with.  And rest assured, all 3 products, as explained to me by the audiologists at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, are very good.  So not to worry.  You will love your unit, and love hearing with it!
 Jamie




________________________________
From: Michael Liddle <jmlejets@gmail.com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 11:24:36 AM
Subject: [CIHear] Med-El System Quality?

 
My apologies, I should have put a new subject line for Med-EL

Good Day Group,
I am having my implant done on Feb 1st. I am planning on the Med-El unit,
mostly at the urging of my surgeon as he was very strongly recommending it
as having the best electronics and processing.

However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this forum.
Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it
just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units. I'm becoming a
little apprehensive. Any comments would be appreciated.

The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new, smaller
processor is in the final stages.

I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Thanks for any input.
Best regards,
Michael Liddle

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





     

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5e. Re: Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "Virg" jvtomlin@wbcable.net nilmotvj
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am ((PST))

This list is more heavily populated with Cochlear brand users, Michael, but
has Med El users as well as AB users.

My surgeon and Audie both refused to recommend a brand to me in 2005.  They
gave me info on the 3 brands and showed me samples but I had to choose.  At
the time, AB was the only one with rechargeable batteries and I chose it
simply for that reason <g>.  That's changed so I'd have a hard time deciding
now.

Virg

> However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this
> forum.
> Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it
> just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units.  I'm becoming a
> little apprehensive.  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new,
> smaller
> processor is in the final stages.
>
> I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
>
> Thanks for any input.
> Best regards,
> Michael Liddle
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Please remember to note "Off Topic" in the subject line if your message is
> not about Cochlear Implants. List messages should not be forwarded to
> another list without the consent of the sender.  Please delete previous
> messages as you reply to a post. If necessary, save only the line to which
> you are replying.  This reduces unnecessary repeats as a courtesy to other
> members.
>
> Be sure to visit http://www.cihear.net where you will find resources to
> help you and interesting articles.  The website is updated weekly.
>
> "Be a thriver, not just a survivor; be an active participant in your
> treatment; investigate every possible avenue; push the medical system to
> its limit; and then, no matter what the outcome, you will not have been
> defeated and will have lived life as fully (if not more so) than most."
> From His Brother's Keeper: A Story from the Edge of Medicine by Jonathan
> Weiner
>
> To translate from another language go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2646 - Release Date: 01/26/10
07:46:00






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5f. Insurance Denials
    Posted by: "Jennifer Kirsch" jenniferkirsch@yahoo.com jenniferkirsch
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am ((PST))

Looking for any help on identifing insurance companies who absolutly will not implant a child under 1 year of age?

Have you been denied by insurance?
Why?
What Company are you with?

Any help would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!



     

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
5g. Re: Med-El System Quality?
    Posted by: "Regina Marulli" rmarulli@yahoo.com rmarulli
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 pm ((PST))

Hi I'm new to the group and have been watching the responses for the last couple of days..I had my Med- El Opus 2 implanted on Nov 13th  2009 and activated on Dec 3rd @ UPenn in Philly by Dr Ruckenstein (wonderful surgeon and much research under his belt on meniere's disease).  I have Meniere's for 20 years now which left me at 7% comprehension in my right ear and 40% with a hearing aid in my left..I think eventually I will go bilateral and have an implant on the left too, but we shall see.

Michael, I am extremely pleased by Med El..Of course I have no basis of comparison since its impossible to "try them out" as you can with hearing aids. I decided on the Med El on my own after reviewing the literature and technical specifications for all the companies and of course my audiologists input..I liked the fact that the Med Els electrode ray in the cochlea extended the entire length of the cochlea as opposed to to a larger number of electrodes in a shorter area of the cochlea. Unfortunately there is no research proving that this method is superior but intuitively it made more sense to me. U Penn predominantly does Ci and nucleus implants but have also done a significant number of Med El. When I asked my audiologist which in her anecdotal (sp?) had the best result she said they all had good results and the final result really depends on the history of the user (length of deafness, motivation etc). She also said that the recent upgrade for Nucleus
was mainly cosmetic and really not technical. My impression is..my opinion of course,  that Ci nucleus  has excellent marketing material and bells and whistles but engineering wise there has not been a major change in about 5 years. Med el seems to focus more on the engineering and not so much on how pretty the unit is..their marketing material and user forums can not  compare to nucleus..but I was mainly interested in performance and not so much all the other stuff. FYI I was a marketing director for technical products  for 20 years so I have some notion of whats what when it comes to marketing

My experience so far since i am about 6-7 weeks since activation..I hear all enviormental sounds, I have 100% comprehension if I am looking at a person directly and about 70 %  without the benefit of lip reading.. I do very well in noisy restaurants, something I did not expect.  Med el has a feature on the remote where I can switch to unidirectional hearing rather than surround sound..(I'm sure there is a better technical description) On the day of activation I went to a noisy restaurant and was able to carry on a conversation with my husband .I was at the minimum hearing goal for cochlear implants 2 weeks after activation. I am starting to hear the TV , I do better with news shows without the background noise. I am starting to be able to talk on the phone. I hear music!!! Not off key either and I do better with familiar music at this point. Although a good friend is an opera singer and I can now hear her..! (very exciting moment for she and I when
I heard her sing clearly on New Year's eve)

The Med el things I have difficulty with is that the actual unit is so light that it falls off my ear easily..this can be fixed by anchoring it with something in my ear which I may do at some point. I also was concerned about the remote control..rather than having the controls on the processor around my ear it is remote..the purpose to make the processor lighter which was great when my ear was healing...my problem is I am always afraid I will loose the remote..it hasn t happened yet but its only been 6 weeks! I love the rechargable batteries although I do feel like I am always changing the battery because they last for only about 10 hours! I have worn the unit on the beach in St martin and have had not degradation at all with the humidity

I just realized I neglected to mention that my right implant ear had been without significant hearing for about 10 years...I never wore a hearing aid in that ear because my ENT at the time said to just live with the meniere's..ugh!  So for all intents and purposes I had very little hearing for a long time I started having problems with my left ear (good ear) in 2000 and after finding a specialist who knew what he was doing and what to try with meniere's I went through every  meniere's treatment known at thiat point (steroids, steroid injections,surgery. diuretics, methotrexate, meniett box etc)  After a few years of disappointment because nothing was working I decided to wait for my hearing to be bad enough to qualify for an implant. That happened in September of 09 and as I said I had the surgery Nov 13th. My recovery was fine..no dizziness but I was very tired for about 3 weeks..my brain adjusting I am told. I feel fine now and my energy level
is back

I am hopeful  and optimistic I will continue to improve. As I told my surgeon the implanrt has changed my life !

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have about Med El. I am certainly not an expert but I would be happy to report my experience

Good luck!!!

Regina




________________________________
From: Michael Liddle <jmlejets@gmail.com>
To: CIHear@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, January 26, 2010 12:24:36 PM
Subject: [CIHear] Med-El System Quality?

 
My apologies, I should have put a new subject line for Med-EL

Good Day Group,
I am having my implant done on Feb 1st. I am planning on the Med-El unit,
mostly at the urging of my surgeon as he was very strongly recommending it
as having the best electronics and processing.

However, I have seen virtually nothing on the Med-ELl system on this forum.
Is there something I've missed and the systems are not up to par, or is it
just the focus of this forum on the Ci and Nucleus units. I'm becoming a
little apprehensive. Any comments would be appreciated.

The Nucleus system is much smaller, externally, but I expect a new, smaller
processor is in the final stages.

I'm having the surgery done at the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Thanks for any input.
Best regards,
Michael Liddle

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





     

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (7)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
6. OT How you learn
    Posted by: "Nucleus24" nucleus24@juno.com dinnyboo251
    Date: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm ((PST))

Nobody forces me to do spring cleaning.  When I spend more time picking
up things that have fallen than doing anything productive, then it's time
to rearrange the messes at the very least.  Today was take the jackets
from upstairs out to the garage.  Being in the 20s temperature wise, I
brought all downstairs, took it to the porch, backed the car down the
drive, loaded it, and then drove to the garage and put things away in the
garage.  Took about an hour, and I was very cold by the time it was done.
But it's away, and won't need to be dealt with until August when pre
season starts again.

Your learning style determines whether you read instructions, do better
if someone shows you how it's done, or just tackle it on your own.  I'm
much better with everything if someone explains it to me. 

And I know nobody who ever read the instructions for the game,
"Monopoly".  Everyone learns it from playing it with others.  And are
amazed when someone actually reads the rules and finds out that money you
pay in fines does NOT go in the middle of the board and goes to the
person who lands on Free Parking.  You can mortgage houses and
properties, and so forth.  Played "cut throat" version of Monopoly all
through grade school and high school.  If you land on someone's property
and they don't ask for the money, you don't pay it.  If someone else
rolls the dice, then it's TOO late.  Teaches people to pay attention to
the game, I'll tell ya that.  Got together with my friends to play in
Orlando and one friend's son wanted to join in the game.  Told him it
wasn't pretty, and it wasn't for kids!    He was amazed at how ruthless
we all are.   Because we're such nice people most of the time.  LOL.

Good luck with the printer.  I hate upgrading anything, because it means
instructions to be read and all that nonsense.

Denise

Hello Denise

These monumental temperature changes from one day to the next, are mind
blowing. We are having a hot, dry Summer.

The weather has forced you to start your spring cleaning early :-)
____________________________________________________________
Nutrition
Improve your career health. Click now to study nutrition!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=TRY-dAjOPF7BEwmOvcWQdQAAJ1CAYQG2fnZWBLacCwlpBoaTAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (1)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________
7. A clever old man shows how to park in the world's narrowest garage -
    Posted by: "A ADAMS" justagram14@msn.com llkc1234
    Date: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:25 am ((PST))


http://www.funnieststuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=1553<http://www.funnieststuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=1553>

Alice
http://www.cihear.net<http://www.cihear.net/>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






Messages in this topic (1)



Please remember to note "Off Topic" in the subject line if your message is not about Cochlear Implants. List messages should not be forwarded to another list without the consent of the sender.  Please delete previous messages as you reply to a post. If necessary, save only the line to which you are replying.  This reduces unnecessary repeats as a courtesy to other members.

Be sure to visit http://www.cihear.net where you will find resources to help you and interesting articles.  The website is updated weekly.

"Be a thriver, not just a survivor; be an active participant in your treatment; investigate every possible avenue; push the medical system to its limit; and then, no matter what the outcome, you will not have been defeated and will have lived life as fully (if not more so) than most." From His Brother's Keeper: A Story from the Edge of Medicine by Jonathan Weiner

To translate from another language go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/



------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CIHear/

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CIHear/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    CIHear-normal@yahoogroups.com
    CIHear-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CIHear-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 davido.extraxim@gmail.com